12.30.2013

Just One Word



We all know there's power in a word. Spoken, thought, or written.

God, Himself, came as The Word in the person of Jesus, and the Bible is God's written Word.

Last year, our pastor challenged us all to choose one word to focus on for 2013, and to keep it as an anchor of sorts throughout the year. I chose the word 'abide'.

Here are a few verses & passages I read over and over:
Psalm 15
Psalm 61
Psalm 91
Proverbs 15:31-33
John 8:31-36
John 15
1 John, chapters 2-4

And a sermon by John Piper that helped me remember what it means to abide in Christ:

If My Words Abide In You (2009)

I haven't necessarily abided in Jesus all year. In fact, of all the years to choose the word abide to focus on, it's been the hardest year to do just that. I suppose that's why He gave me the word so strongly at the end of last year!! I needed the consistent reminder to choose abiding in Him over giving up. And there were many times I wanted to throw my hands up in confusion or defeat - and He beckoned me to let go and abide in His love for me. His unchanging, unfailing, longsuffering, everlasting love. Even in the midst of an ongoing battle with spiritual apathy, He reminds me often to rest on the Truth that I know and recall to mind His Word, and let Him speak hope and healing to my soul.

Pastor extended the invitation to us again Sunday morning as we get ready to ring in a new year (listen to the message here!). I've been praying about and thinking hard on which word He would have me choose for '14, and He has clearly given me the word:

JOY.

Will you pray about taking the challenge of choosing one word for 2014?

Learning to abide,
looking forward to joy,
for His glory!
~Lisha

I may be sharing this at these amazing Link-up parties!

12 comments:

  1. My one word is "wonder." In fact, I am going to blog about it at Heart Choices Today all year long, starting mid-January. I think it really makes a difference to help us focus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great word, Dawn! I know that having 'abide' always at the back of my mind was a great way to refocus through some of the trials.

      There's so much in Christ to wonder about - I hope your year brings many blessings :)
      ~Lisha

      Delete
  2. My one word is "present". Here is my post on it :) http://womenwithintention.com/one-word-2014/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing, Jenny! I know that is something I need to work on, too.

      I'm so glad you've stopped by! Happy New Year!
      ~Lisha :)

      Delete
  3. Love this idea! I have so many goals for this year, but I would say one word that sums up my focus this year is 'Faith', faith in His strength and that He is always leading me in the right direction. Thank you so much for posting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SUCH an important word, and yes Christa!, you're right - He is always leading you in the right direction. May He bless you and grow your faith this year in ways you can't even imagine right now :)

      Thank you for stopping by - I'm so glad you did! Happy New Year!
      ~Lisha

      Delete
  4. Ooooh, this mama battles for joy as well. I love your one word!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Gabby! John Piper has a book titled "When I don't desire God: How to fight for joy" - and I'm hoping to read it this year!

      Delete
  5. My word for 2014 is 'Enough.' I shared the reasons at http://everydayfamilyliving.com/enough if you care to read them. Thanks for linking at Family Fun Friday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing your word, Stephanie - that was the word God laid on my heart a couple of years ago and it was a time of sweet growth and communion for me!

      Blessings!
      ~Lisha

      Delete
  6. Hi Lisha, I stumbled on your blog from Whole Hearted Wednesdays linky party. My one word is Today. Here is my post about it. http://sowonderfullycomplex.blogspot.com/2014/01/one-word-will-change-your-life.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kristina, I'm glad you're here! Thank you for sharing your post - I'll be sure to check it out :)

      ~Lisha

      Delete